Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Practice Practice Practice

My friend, Tiffany, let me borrow her light stand, umbrella, and trigger so I decided to work on my lighting last night. My sister was gracious enough to pose for me. Here's one of my favorite shots.

Strobist Info:
Canon 580EXII on 1/16 power shot through umbrella positioned directly in front and above model. I also used a homemade snoot (tubular tunnel that fits over the head of your flash to restrict the direction of where the light will go) out of black construction paper and masking tape. Don't know if it was counter productive to shoot a snooted flash into an umbrella because an umbrella's supposed to diffuse the light and the snoot's restricting it. Oh well. I was experimenting.

Metadata: 
f2/8 Shutter speed 1/250 ISO 400  
I took another stab at photoshop and actually think I did pretty good. It took me over an hour and a half just to edit this one picture, but I like the way it came out. I even got my signature in the photo. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love that idea of a homemade snoot. I think I will need to try that. How did you create your signature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really easy. Sign your name big on a piece of paper and scan it into your computer. Then open the scanned image up in photoshop. Go under edit-define brush preset. Name it (ie my signature). That's it. Now you have a new brush tool that is saved with all the other brush types and you can just stamp it onto your image. You can also resize it and change the color every time you use it. I got that out of my Photoshop book: The Adobe Photoshop CS3 book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby. I love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to stop lending people my gear...they use it way better than I do :-)

    Great job young lady!

    ReplyDelete